Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review of "The Journey"


The Journey (Kentucky Brothers, #1)The Journey by Wanda E. Brunstetter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Description from Goodreads: Discover along with Titus Fisher how life can begin anew in Christian County, Kentucky. Moving from Pennsylvania, finding rewarding work, and leaving a broken romance behind is the best decision Titus ever made. But is he ready to consider love again when he meets two women: one who seems perfectly suited for any Amish man and one who challenges long held ideas of the woman’s role. Who will Titus choose, and will it be the right choice?

My thoughts:
This is the first Amish book that I have read. I admit that I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I knew that the Amish are a people of great faith and live a simple lifestyle compared to the rest of the world. I was surprised at how much technology they actually use. That the amount allowed is under the direction of the local area religious leaders. I guess I live in a different region of the United States so that will be my excuse for being ignorant of their community.

Titus is the main male character. He has had his heart broken by Pheobe and moves from Pennsylvania to Kentucky. There he begins to forge a life for himself partly to move from all reminders of Pheobe and partly to prove himself and an adult. He meets a couple of eligible young women, but doesn't feel ready to begin courting yet.  Can I just say that I think it is refreshing to see the word "courting" used in a society that exists in our world today?

Suzanne and Ester are best friends. One is interested in Titus at first, but realizes that they have nothing in common. Then the other begins to develop feelings for him. Let's not mention that Phoebe is still hanging around in the picture.

I love the faith aspect of the book. I love that this is a clean romance that I would give to my mother in a heartbeat.  I enjoyed  Wanda E. Brunstetter's writing style.  It is well written and easy to follow along with the story line.  I liked seeing some of the words the Amish use in their daily life and then she explained them in the conversation without interrupting the flow of the story.  I would definitely pick up another book of hers if I get the chance.

I am glad that I won it from the first reads program at Goodreads. Just wish that I would have been able to get to it a little sooner.

1 comment:

  1. I love books about Amish culture. I hadn't heard of this one. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.