Friday, July 15, 2011

Interview with P.J. Hoover ~ author of "Solstice"


I am excited to have P.J. Hoover here today to have a chat and let us know a bit more about herself and her novel "Solstice".  I enjoyed her book and you can see me review posted yesterday.  You can find it ...here!
She successfully weaves a tale combining Dystopia and Mythology. 

One thing that I have loved about blogging about books is the opportunity to meet (online of course) some great author's.  It's fun to get to know them by email and asking questions. I love to share this with you, the people who read my blog.


  1. Why did you decide to write a novel based on Greek Mythology?
The second I read Mythology by Edith Hamilton, I fell head over heels for mythology. I loved the idea that these super-human beings ruled over the earth, and I could not believe that people used to think they were all true. Of course that was in sixth grade, and I never thought about writing a novel in sixth grade. It wasn’t until I decided to write for the young adult market that I figured a mythology-based story would be perfect for me to write. So Solstice was born. Plus, the starship Enterprise even mixes in mythology because it’s so awesome. Who Mourns for Adonis anyone?

  1. It is interesting to me that you combined a Dystopian future and mythology in one book.  How did you come up with the idea for Solstice?
I was trying to figure out how to make a mythology story more than just a plain vanilla retelling. I wanted to go beyond the myth. So I asked myself (and my critique partners) what would happen next. In the story of Persephone and Hades, I wondered what if Persephone died. How would that affect the world around us? And the idea for Solstice came to me, and I ran with it.

  1. Solstice deals with a world that has one season.  Do you have a favorite season?
I’m partial to autumn. I love when the cool weather starts to blow in, and the air feels so fresh. I adore pumpkin seeds and cooking squash. For me, autumn is the season that inspires me. It’s like change that is much needed finally arrives.

  1. When did you decide that you wanted to be an author?
After my second child was born. I read all the time growing up and as an adult, and I was always sure that if I tried I could write a book. And so, one day, I decided that instead of reading and reading and reading, why not mix in a book of my own. I love writing and the discipline required to do it. And I love using the creative part of my brain.

  1. What would you like your readers to know about you?
I adore hearing from readers! There is nothing like knowing my stories are connecting with real people out in the real world. So if anyone ever wants to drop me a line, please do. It’s the best part of being an author!

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing SOLSTICE and for the opportunity to hang out with your readers!
Thank you so much for letting me visit your blog! I’m thrilled to be here!


Thanks for visiting P.J.  I am very happy that you dropped by!

You can find the trailer for the book... here!

P.J. has a wonderful website up where you can read the first few chapters of Solstice and her other books.  Go to this page.  It's a great place to visit.  http://www.pjhoover.com/extras_solstice.php


About P.J.:
P. J. Hoover first fell in love with Greek mythology in sixth grade thanks to the book Mythology by Edith Hamilton. After a fifteen year bout as an electrical engineer designing computer chips for a living, P. J. decided to take her own stab at mythology and started writing books for kids and teens. P. J. is a member of THE TEXAS SWEETHEARTS & SCOUNDRELS. When not writing, P. J. spends time with her husband and two kids and enjoys practicing Kung Fu, solving Rubik’s cubes, and watching Star Trek.
Her first novel for teens, Solstice, takes place in a Global Warming future and explores the parallel world of mythology beside our own.
Her middle grade fantasy novels, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, and The Necropolis, chronicle the adventures of a boy who discovers he’s part of two feuding worlds hidden beneath the sea. You can visit her website at www.pjhoover.com


1 comment:

  1. Great interview. I'm resding Solstice now and enjoying it.

    PJ, I can see why you'd love autumn after the hot Austin summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.