Friday, April 8, 2011

Review of "Any Witch Way"

Any Witch WayAny Witch Way by Annastaysia Savage

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Enduring the teasing and ridicule of her school mates, Sadie struggles through life as a pre-teen on the eve of her 13th birthday. Three years ago, a car crash took her mother, but Sadie never saw her body. She refuses to believe her mother is really gone. Holding fast to that feeling earns her the nickname "Crazy Sadie."

Despite her one wish to be normal, Sadie only finds solace with a small group of unusual characters. These unlikely friends give her a “semi-normal” life outside of school in a bookstore where strange and mystical things seem to happen. In fact, if Sadie entertains her deepest suspicions, her friends are a little mystical.

When her birthday arrives however, Sadie finds herself whisked into a magical world that swirls just under the surface of normal, everyday life. Not only does she learn she’ll soon become a witch, but she also discovers she must battle The Syndicate to save her new world.

Faced with fantastical encounters, unexplainable transformations, and startling fears, Sadie struggles against an unknown evil – all while searching for her real identity.
Description from GoodReads

I know I have to write a good review when I finish the book with a smile on my face.

Sadie is a young girl who wants to fit in. She is the recipient of teasing from the kids at school, mainly because she believes that her mother is still alive. She is an orphan who moves from foster home to foster home.

On her 13th birthday, which happens to be Halloween, she discovers the truth, she is a witchling. A party is given by her older friend, Mrs. Felix, when chaos breaks. She is thrown into a war between good and evil. I think it's confusing enough to be a 13 year old girl, but to start to come in to magical powers and have to protect yourself with magic would be a lot for anyone to handle. Sadie does surprisingly well.

Every once in a while I find a quote in a book that sticks out to me. In this book it is: "You three are either the stupidest women I've ever encountered, or you really know nothing of pure evil." He spun around to face them again as his voice lowered. "Evil thrives on chaos."

The pages of this book are loaded with magical creatures.  I believe that it will be fun for young teens and tweens to read.  There are also some bodily functions moments in this book that kids will get a kick out of.  I have to admit some of them made me chuckle while I was shaking my head.


There were moments were the story seemed to drag to me. Overall I would say this is a great middle grade book.

I received a copy of this book in a giveaway at Library Thing.  Thank you JournalStone for providing the eBook copies.

Here is the Barnes and Noble link to the book: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Any-Witch-Way/Annastaysia-Savage/e/9781936564033?r=1,%201&if=N&cm_mmc=Goodreads-_-k117601-_-j12871747k117601-_-Primary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.