Thursday, April 21, 2011

REVIEW - "The Maze of Bones"

The Maze of Bones (39 Clues, #1)The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Description from Goodreads:
Instead of 39 steps, billionaire Grace Cahill left her heirs 39 clues scattered around the world. At the end of this circuitous trail are the answers to a great family mystery, but Amy and Dan must decide whether any prize can be more important than the rescue of their missing parents. The beginning of an enthralling ten-book arc.



My thoughts:
I enjoyed reading this book. It was recommended to my kids from a librarian and, of course, being a mother, I love to know what my kids are reading. I read this looooong after my kids though. But it has led to some fun discussions with my daughter talking about this book.  There are currently 11 books to the series and my daughter has read all of them.

This is an adventure book. Amy and Dan are orphans being raised by a long list of au pairs. None last for a long amount of time. Dan acts out, he's precocious, but I wonder if it's because he's trying to get the attention of his grandmother.

This book opens at their grandmother's funeral. They choose an option of looking for the lost "treasure" of their ancestors. They could either take a million dollars or join other relatives on the quest. They are told that it will be dangerous, and the family members are all working against them.  The instructions given tell them to trust no one.

The kids are put in some unique and dangerous situations. As always, I am impressed with the resilience of the kids. But then again, this is fiction. I don't know that I could do half as well in the situations that they find themselves again. But that is why I love to read. It sparks the imagination and kids love to read about other kids facing impossible situations and prevailing.

A Personal note:

As I indicated above. I like to read the books that my children read.  I have seen some commentary that many adults review YA books, and we are definitely NOT teens.  I like to read what my children are reading.  I like to know what they are reading.  Many parents had issues with allowing their children reading "Breaking Dawn", well, I let my then 11 year old daughter read it.  I had read it before hand, and I would rather know what she is reading and be able to discuss it with her.  So, yes, part of the reason that I read YA is to be an informed parent. The other part is because I love a good story.  It doesn't matter if the characters are 3 or 89.  A good story will carry to all readers regardless of situation or age.  On this blog you will find a variety of books.  I read picture books and I read adult books.  I will do my best to give you my thoughts on all of them.

This takes another book off of my book bucket list.  I have scheduled the rest of them on my calendar.  It will take me until December to finish them.  Hopefully I can stay on track, because I am behind on everything else.  If you are curious about my book bucket list challenge, I have a link in the left side bar that will take you right to the challenge.

1 comment:

  1. I gave this book to my niece & nephew and they really enjoyed it. I hadn't read it myself but I agree with you - I'll read mid-grade, YA, adult....a good story is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.