Saturday, March 24, 2012

Review of "New Girl" by Paige Harbison

New Girl by Paige Harbison

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Source: ARC from Netgalley

Book Description:
A contemporary young-adult retelling inspired by the classic 1938 romantic suspense bestseller Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
They call me 'New Girl'...
Ever since I arrived at exclusive, prestigious Manderly Academy, that’s who I am. New girl. Unknown. But not unnoticed—because of her.
Becca Normandy—that’s the name on everyone’s lips. The girl whose picture I see everywhere. The girl I can’t compare to. I mean, her going missing is the only reason a spot opened up for me at the academy. And everyone stares at me like it’s my fault.
Except for Max Holloway—the boy whose name shouldn’t be spoken. At least, not by me. Everyone thinks of him as Becca’s boyfriend…but she’s gone, and here I am, replacing her. I wish it were that easy. Sometimes, when I think of Max, I can imagine how Becca’s life was so much better than mine could ever be.
And maybe she’s still out there, waiting to take it back.




Colleen's Thoughts: 
Although I didn't realize it until after I read the book, this story is a fairly precise replica of du Maurier's Rebecca.  I didn't read the book description before I read it, otherwise I would have already known.  However, the more I thought about the book after reading it, the more I put the pieces together.  The character's names and many of the situations greatly reflect the original story.  I did not like the contemporary setting very well.  The fact that the characters were teenagers in such "adult situations" was disturbing.  This is most definitely not a book for younger teenagers, if for teenagers at all.  The f-word is used profusely throughout.  There are countless sexual situations that probably do happen in a boarding school atmosphere,  but, it is uncomfortable and inappropriate for children to read about.  I do not recommend reading this book.  If you want know the story, go read Daphne du Maurier's original instead.

4 comments:

  1. Oh :( I've heard good and bad things about this one equally - I haven't had time to read it yet but now I can't wait to pick it up and see what I think. I'm sorry you didn't like it :(

    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits, and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Rebecca. Such a good book. Thanks for the head's up on content in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this book
    yes its for older teen /near the age of 20

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you liked this better! It had my problems with it equally but at least I didn't flat out hate it and haha, when I was a freshmen at high school (surrounded by 15 y/o's) we made what happens in this book INNOCENCE! trust me, this book is hardly an unrealistic portrayal of teen world, it's exactly how it is. Teens I'm surrounded with are cussing machines have one thing in mind: sex.

    Racquel @ The Book Barbies♥
    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.