Tuesday, October 11, 2011

REVIEW ~ Forgotten



  Forgotten by Cat Patrick
  5 of 5 stars
  Source: Purchased
  Age Recommendation: YA

Book description:
Every night, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased.  In the morning, all she can "remember" are events from her future.  London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture.  Luke Henry is not someone you'd easily forget, yet try as she might, London can't find him in her memories of things to come.

When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it's time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting -- before it destroys her future.



Colleen's Thoughts: I'm going to break from my usual writing style for this review, because I LOVED this book!  I give this book a 5.  Anyone who knows my taste in books knows I'm a sucker for a good story, and this is such a good story!  Many people have mocked me because I like the Twilight series because it isn't a literary masterpiece.  Well, who cares?  It was a really cool story!  And because we are here to read for fun, not sit in AP English class, I'm going to tell you all the reasons why I loved Forgotten, and forget about everything anyone may say about it's literary value, whether positive or negative.  Why?  I'll tell you again, it is an enthralling story.  I read it in one sitting.  I couldn't put it down.  I've been canning grape juice all day and getting angry when the timer went off because I had to put down my book!

So, here are the things I loved about it.  The story itself, although we may recognize similar motifs in stories like "50 First Dates", is unique in that not only does she not remember any of her past, but she "remembers" her future.  In order to function through any normal day, she takes notes at the end of each day to help herself remember in the morning what happened to her the day before.  There are many different mini-stories within the overall story and I enjoyed discovering how each of them resolved.  London's boyfriend, Luke, is so understanding and thoughtful.  If only all 16 year old boys could be so genuinely sensitive, yet so masculine all at the same time!  He knows about London's condition and is supportive, patient, and accepting of her, no matter what strange things happen.  I loved the mystery and the intensity, and I especially enjoyed the romantic flavor throughout.  While the romantic part of their relationship is written tastefully and appropriately, there are a few places that may be a bit inappropriate in nature, but still are written without being too detailed.  There are also a couple of swear words, but no religious exclamations that I can remember.   Although I'm in danger of being too repetitious, I just want to reiterate how entertaining this story is.  I couldn't put it down and I was disappointed when it was over.  Thank you Cat Patrick for such a fun read!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I know what you mean too, I also judge a book on how entertaining the story is as opposed to literary value. I don't feel qualified to judge literary value but I certainly know how a book makes me feel. Wonderful review, I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. A good story is what makes a book worth reading not the writing. They both have their places but as a reader who wants to read mostly for entertainment it's the story that matters!

    And have you seen what her next book Revived is going to be about? It looks even more awesome than Forgotten. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.