Thursday, October 13, 2011

Frustrations when your reading device won't cooperate.


This picture is too cute and illustrates what I feel like inside.

I had the best day yesterday.  So far this week, I have received ten books in the mail.  I was on cloud nine.  I walked down the halls of my kids school, smiling, and an adorable little girl told me I was pretty.  It really doesn't get much better than that!

So, last night I was trying to download a couple of books from Netgalley on my second generation kindle.  I received a message telling me my kindle was full and to delete books to make room.  NO PROBLEM, right?
Ha, I wish.   The books refused to delete, so I did a hard reset.  The stupid thing will not reload.  It will not charge.

Today I called Amazon and my kindle is officially dead.  The computer won't recognize it.  I have lost several books to review from Netgalley that have since been archived.  I was dumb enough to have it sent directly to my kindle, rather than the @free.kindle.com.  Yes, I paid for the wireless transfer.  Here is a note to the wise, don't do that.  If your kindle dies, the documents die with it.  Take the time to hook the kindle up with a USB cable and download them from your computer.  It's worth it.

Anyway, a new Kindle is on order.  It should be here tomorrow.  I have gone to Netgalley and transferred as many of the books still available to the @free.kindle.com address.  I haven't lost everything, just some so it could be worse.

So I am just giving you some advice.  I love, love, love a kindle.  They make my life so much easier, just be sure that you have a back up of everything, particularly documents that are sent as a personal document.

Now, to go to Netgalley and inform the publishers.   Sigh...... Things will only get  better from here, I hope.

5 comments:

  1. Bless your heart, I feel your pain, although I didn't know you could fill up a kindle. I actually use Calibre to keep track of those books I don't get from Amazon, that way they are backed up and I can download the metadata and all sorts of things. I get PDF's from authors for review and I can convert them to MOBI that way as well. Hope the new kindle works out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notifying the publishers at Goodreads that I was unable to review their galleys was very hard for me. I am amazed at how many I was able to resend to the my kindle. This time I will use the USB to transfer them from my computer to the kindle. Live and learn. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i mean Negalley. It has been a very long couple of days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so no warranty or did you have to pay to replace it?
    Pabkins @ Mission to Read

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I purchased a new one and then contacted technical support. They said I could replace it for $40.00 and pay all shipping costs. This way I have a new one for $39.00 more and it's under warranty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.