Saturday, September 20, 2014

Book Review ~ "The End Begins: Sudden Darkness" by Margot Hovley #TackleTBR

The End Begins: Sudden DarknessThe End Begins: Sudden Darkness by Margot Hovley
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Source: Purchased
Genre: Religious/End of Days

Book Description: "Brothers and sisters, may I have your attention," President Green said into the megaphone. I held my breath. What would he say next? At that moment, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd said the moon was scheduled to turn to blood next Tuesday night. "As you know, alarming events are unfolding. People are scared and confused. Life as we have known it will never be the same, it seems."

The news has been filled with stories of tragedy and turmoil. But world events like the recent bombings in London seem far removed from eighteen-year-old Amelie Hatch's quiet life in Zillah, Washington. She's content with the predictable pattern of her life—school, friends, work. But when Amelie's father leaves on a mysterious Church assignment, concerns escalate as the family is left with few answers.

Then, in the span of moments, Amelie's world erupts in chaos. Terrorists have attacked the US power grid. There is no electricity. Vehicles have ceased working. The nuclear facility at nearby Hanford is compromised, and radiation may be flooding the area. Without the guidance of their father, Amelie's family faces a monumental task at the request of the leaders of the Church: members of their stake have been asked to walk to zUtah, where they will find safety in Zion.

Fleeing her home and the life she knows, Amelie sets off on the arduous journey toward the refuge of Utah. There is danger around every corner as the group faces gunfire, kidnapping, and new terrorist threats. And as she finds herself drawn to two very different men, Amelie recognizes a more personal peril—she's in danger of losing her heart.


My thoughts: What happens if the United States becomes the target of a massive terrorist strike? In "The End Begins: Sudden Darkness", Margot Hovley paints a fictitious picture of how it could happen and the devastation and chaos that would ensue for the government as well as the civilians of the United States.

Amelie is a normal teen young woman. She was left crippled when her leg was run over as a child. She limps and walks with a cane, but makes the best of things. One evening while talking with her best friend, Zach, the power went out. A few days passed without news, and then her Church called a meeting, the United States was hit with an EMP. Communications, power, computers have all been disabled. The government was severely disabled and major cities experienced rioting. Her group was asked to take a trek across the Western United States from Zillah, Washington to Salt Lake City, Utah, on foot.

The book is based on a group from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. There are moments that are very religious. To me the book was about a group of people, joining together, searching to escape a desperate situation. Their faith and common beliefs bonded them and gave them purpose.

I enjoy reading books that have a "what if" plot. It really helps me think about my own preparedness if a natural or man made disaster occurred. Would I be prepared to take care of my family? I really hope that I will never need survival skills, but I do live in an earthquake area, so I appreciate taking a few moments out of my everyday life and reviewing what I need to do in case a crisis does hit my family or area.





This is the fourth book I have completed for this  challenge.  I know that it ends today.  I may look at the remaining books and see if I can sneak one more in today.  
I will be posting a wrap up post later tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a good one! You did awesome on your read a thon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.