Sunday, January 9, 2011

REVIEW - Life as We Knew It

Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1)Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What would I do if in an instant the world changed?  I hope I never have to find out!




This book was an intense story of survival. Miranda and the rest of the world watch as an meteor slams into the moon changing it's orbit. It was big news, everyone was out in the streets watching the star show, then the moon became the prominent feature in the sky.  The scientists miscalculated the density of the meteor.  Cities were wiped out from tsunamis and flooding. Volcano's that have remained dormant began to erupt. 
Then the world became covered in ash.  Illness and death run rampant. People starve from lack of food. Wells dry up, gas is no longer available, people freeze.

Susan Beth Pfeffer wrote an outstanding book.  Miranda, her mother, and two brothers are faced with the ultimate trial of survival.  Somehow they must hang on until things get better, if they get better.  I kept turning the pages wondering what would happen next.  I wondered if things could get worse?  Yes, they definitely could get worse.

Honestly, my son went out to play and I was concerned because of the ash in the air.  My reality started to become mixed up with the fiction that I was reading.  There are two more books in the series, and I will definitely be reading them.  Highly recommend this YA book, no concerns on content.


This is a story of survival. The ending is abrupt, but it shows that life endures. It demonstrates the importance of family and helping one another.

I purchased this book for my enjoyment.  I read the kindle edition.

Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.
    
Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all--hope--in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world. description from GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.