Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Book Review ~ "Dragonwitch" by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)Dragonwitch by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Publication: July 2013

Book Description:  Who Will Dare to Face the Dragonwitch? 

Submissive to her father’s will, Lady Leta of Aiven travels far to meet a prospective husband she neither knows nor loves–Lord Alistair, future king of the North Country.

But within the walls of Gaheris Castle, all is not right. Vicious night terrors plague Lord Alistair to the brink of insanity. Whispers rise from the family crypt. The reclusive castle Chronicler, Leta’s tutor and friend, possesses a secret so dangerous it could cost his life and topple the North Country into civil war.

And far away in a hidden kingdom, a fire burns atop the Temple of the Sacred Flame. Acolytes and priestesses serve their goddess to the limits of their lives and deaths. No one is safe while the Dragonwitch searches for the sword that slew her twice…and for the one person who can wield it.



My thoughts: I waited far too long to read this book. I received a copy from Netgalley to review a long time ago. I enjoyed the story and wish that I had read it sooner.

The first thing I didn't realize is that this is the fifth book in a series. This is the first book that I have read in this series. I was unfamiliar the fantasy world that Anne Elisabeth Stengl already had formulated in previous books. It took a little bit of time for me to figure out some of the history and plot behind the story.

I curiosity has been peaked and I hope to be able to read the previous books sometime in the near future. I would like to see her laying out the unique world of dragons and fairy that make up the series.

This book can be read as a stand alone. I believe that each book in the series look at different characters. One of the books is Starflower, her story is touched on in this book, but it would be great to read it from start to finish.

I really enjoyed the premise that someone who is looked at as small and weak can accomplish great things. The Chronicler is a human "dwarf" who rises to his potential and fulfills a prophecy. The idea that it is what is in the heart that counts is a prominent theme of the book.

Each chapter begins with an immortal being telling her story. At first is seems as if the stories have little in common, but they are pulled together wonderfully. As a reader I had to exercise a little patience until I realized the purpose behind the two stories.

This is a great book for fantasy lovers. There is a religious aspect to the book. It is a fantasy deity, but can easily be referenced to Christian beliefs.



1 comment:

  1. You should definitely go back and read the series from the beginning. I've read the first three and loved them. Glad to hear you liked this one.

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.