Thursday, February 6, 2014

Book Review~ "Thai Twist: A Cultural Romance" by D.R. Ransdell

Thai Twist: A Cultural RomanceThai Twist: A Cultural Romance by D.R. Ransdell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: Received to Review
Genre: Mystery/Romance

Book Description: When high school graduate Gina Campanello wins a trip to Thailand, the last thing she wants is to visit a bunch of temples and museums with her gung-ho older sister. Luckily, before Gina leaves Tucson, a neighbor gives her the mission of delivering a small stone elephant to a long-lost relative. When Gina and Rachel hit Bangkok, Rachel carts her sister from Wat Pho to the Grand Palace, but all Gina can think of is Koon Somchai, the estranged engineer she has promised to track down. By the time she leaves Bangkok, she's no closer to her goal. In Chiang Mai, the second city of the girls' tour, Gina finally gets some leads after consulting with natives. She visits the local engineering school and writes furious emails to recent graduates. The problem is that by the time she narrows down her search, she's about to board a plane for the beautiful beaches of Phuket. While Rachel enjoys lovely ocean views and leisurely afternoons in the pool, Gina can't stop thinking about the mysterious man she was supposed to find. When the man's grandson is able to arrange transportation for her return to Chiang Mai, Gina can't turn down the offer, no matter the personal cost.

My thoughts: I wanted to read this book just for the fact that my husband lived in Thailand for two years as a missionary. He has told me many stories of the people and the places he visited. I wanted another perspective of the country that has come to mean so much to my family.

D.R. Ransdell has done a wonderful job at creating a story that is interesting and informative at the same time. I loved how the culture and places of Thailand have been presented. As I read, I asked my husband many questions about the places and words that I was reading. As I stated earlier, the descriptions stayed true to the experiences that my husband had in Thailand.

The story is a mix between a mystery and then a romance. In the beginning Gina is looking to take a gift to a stranger. She only has a picture and name to go on. I really liked following her puzzling skills as she tracked down the man from a picture. Her sister provides comedic moments as well as practical moments to help her  in her quest.

There is also a romance. Gina is drawn to the man who holds the final piece of the puzzle. Before she meets him, she wants to get to know him. I liked the fact that they connected as friends before pursuing any romance inclinations.

I am very glad that this book was brought to my attention.  This book contains sexual situations without details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.