Saturday, February 15, 2014

Book Review ~ "The Return of Casandra Todd" by Darrel Nelson

The Return of Cassandra ToddThe Return of Cassandra Todd by Darrel Nelson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Source: Received to Review
Genre: Suspense/Romance

Book Description: When the popular girl whose friends bullied him in high school suddenly reenters his life, little son in tow, Turner Caldwell must put the past behind him if they are to survive.  
Turner Caldwell works at a local motel as a handyman while attending college full-time. On his way to class one day, he is shocked to see Cassandra Todd and her young son in town. The sight of her brings back powerful memories of being bullied in high school—she was the popular head cheerleader and he the target of her friends’ mean-spirited pranks.   When Cassandra and her son check into the motel where he works and she asks for his help in eluding her abusive husband, he finds himself entangled in a dangerous drama that will require him to forgive and draw on every skill he has if they are to survive.

My thoughts: Turner is a young man who has many emotional scars from his high school years. He was the victim of bullying. His high school crush was Cassandra Todd. Unfortunately, she was his main tormentor's girlfriend. Turner knew that she did not approve of the behavior, but didn't know what to do about it.

Several years pass and Cassandra Todd ends up taking a room in the motel that Turner is the handyman for. She has a four year old son and she is running from her abusive husband. Turner is pulled into helping her and keeping her safe.

This book is full of suspenseful moments. Turner is an incredible guy. He is funny and kind. He takes Cassandra's son under his wing and helps the boy and Cassandra cope through some stressful moments. Turner is intelligent and forgiving. He keeps his head and comes up with some unique solutions to problems.

This book kept me up reading in the night. I couldn't put it down until I finished the last page.

There is a little romance, but because of the nature of the situation, it is kept in appropriate boundaries. There is some violence, but otherwise it is a clean book.


3 comments:

  1. I just got this book! I'm glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that this is too much to ask, but I would love if you would create (or direct me to) a goodreads list of the books you recommend, so I can simple want-to-read all of them.
    An alternative is like I have done with my reccomendations: majesticgoldenrose.tripod.com/books.html/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a look at your link and it's a great idea. I will see if I can come up with a page on the blog like that. My goodreads is pretty daunting. Here is a link to my favorite's shelf at Goodreads. It's not complete. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/864649-lisa-bookworm-lisa?shelf=favorites

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.