Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Empowering LDS Youth with values ~ "Armor Up" and "Suit Up"

Armor Up!Armor Up! by John Bytheway
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Source: Recieved to Review
Genre: Inspirational


My thoughts: My first thought was to say "Amen" and leave that as my review!

The book is short with six chapters. Each chapter was written by a different author and each deal with a different part of "the armor of God".

The author's don't sugar coat why you need all parts of the armor to have true happiness and freedom in life. They are direct. They tell it like it is. They have impressed me with their individual testimonies and writing styles.

My 18 year old son is leaving home for the first time to work at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. I decided to give him this book to read while he's away. I was surprised that he was already familiar with the title. His seminary teacher, Hank Smith, is one of the contributing author's. It makes it a little more personal for him and for that I am grateful.

I really couldn't recommend this book more highly. I do recommend youth and parents read it. It will open the doors for conversation.



Suit Up by John Bytheway, Laurel Christensen, John Hilton III, Hank Smith, Anthony Sweat, Brad Wilcox, J. Platt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Source: Received to Review
Genre: Inspirational

My thoughts: The time to prepare for a mission is now! When President Thomas S. Monson announced that missionaries can go at a younger age. At first I was amazed and then I was overwhelmed and started to cry. My son was turning 18 in three months and I realized that the timeline for him leaving would be sooner than I was emotionally prepared for.

Suit Up! takes Doctrine and Covenants 4 and each verse is discussed by the different authors. The first verse is expounded by Hank Smith, the second by John Bytheway, etc.

I enjoyed reading each author's unique perspective and writing style. It was fun to have mission experiences  illustrated, whether they be the author's own or of another person that they know. It adds real life character and brings it closer to the reader. I love that they let future missionaries know that they can do hard things, and that missionary work is a rewarding experience.

Another book that my kids NEED to read, not only them, but me as well. I did not have a mission experience as a young woman, but I plan to have one sometime in the future with my husband. It's great motivation for being a member missionary too.






Purchase Links:

Amazon: Armor Up * Suit Up!

Deseret Book: Armor Up * Suit Up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.