Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review ~ Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs

Greta and the Goblin King (Mylena Chronicles, #1)Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: Received electronic copy from publisher to review
Genre: YA fantasy

 Book Description: While trying to save her brother from a witch’s fire four years ago, Greta was thrown in herself, falling through a portal to Mylena, a dangerous world where humans are the enemy and every ogre, ghoul, and goblin has a dark side that comes out with the eclipse. 

To survive, Greta has hidden her humanity and taken the job of bounty hunter—and she’s good at what she does. So good, she’s caught the attention of Mylena’s young goblin king, the darkly enticing Isaac, who invades her dreams and undermines her will to escape. 

But Greta’s not the only one looking to get out of Mylena. An ancient evil knows she’s the key to opening the portal, and with the next eclipse mere days away, every bloodthirsty creature in the realm is after her—including Isaac. If Greta fails, she and the lost boys of Mylena will die. If she succeeds, no world will be safe from what follows her back...


My thoughts:  This book was not what I expected. When I think of Goblins, I picture something ugly and repulsive. The goblin king in this book didn't conjure that image.

This story reminded me of a cross between Hansel and Gretel and Beauty and the Beast. While certain aspects of those stories were present, this book offered much more.

Greta came from earth through a magical portal. A witch in the woods lured her younger brother by using irresistible smells. Her victims are then thrown in a fire that is a portal. The portal leads to Mylena.

The world she has lived in for the past several years is brutal. In the world of fantasy creatures it's survival of the fittest. She was forced to adapt and in the process lost part of her humanity.

The goblin king wants her as his own. I never would have guessed that I would be rooting for a goblin- but I've never come accross a goblin like Isaac before. Their fledgling attraction is tried when she finds that she is not the only human stuck on this unforgiving world.

I enjoyed this story. My only caution would be the swearing throughout the book. I did a little happy dance when I found out this is book one in the Mylena Chronicles. I look forward to reading more!

Purchase Links!

Book Depository $9.68

2 comments:

  1. I think the reason I want to read this is because of the reimage of goblins. After you mentioned the "Beauty and the Beast" theme, I want to read it more!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why, but for the past few months, I've been obsessively asking our favorite salesclerk at the bookstore if this one's already been in store! The reason why I'm so excited for it because there's a goblin king named Isaac. A goblin king named Isaac (Who would have thought of it?!)! Thanks for making me all the more anticipatory for it.

    The Twins Read

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.