Friday, January 2, 2015

Book Review ~ "Sleeping Beauty and the Beast" by Melissa Lemon



Sleeping Beauty and the Beast by Melissa Lemon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: Received to Review
Genre: Fairy Tale

Book Description:  Trapped in a cursed sleep, the only experiences Princess Eglantine has are the ones in her dreams. There she meets Prince Henry of Fallund, a neighboring kingdom on the brink of war. 

Meanwhile, Prince Henry's brother Duncan discovers a vicious beast imprisoned for murder. Captivated by her, he works to free her from both the prison bars she's locked behind and the ones surrounding her heart and mind. Sleeping Beauty and the Beast reinvents and seamlessly intertwines the classic fairy tales Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast.
 


My thoughts: When I first looked at the title, I immediately thought of two fairy tales, Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. So, I guess you could say that I assumed that this story would be a cross between the two.

While there is a sleeping Princess and there is a beastly person, this story takes on its own unique twists and turns.

My favorite character would have to be Duncan. I don't know why I love to read about characters who rebel from expectations. Duncan is a Prince, he is the second born son. He shuns Royal behavior and loves to go out into the city without shoes wearing peasant clothing. His twin brother, Henry, reluctantly fills the role of Royalty. He does what is expected, wishing his brother was with him.

Now for the interesting part, the sleeping Princess and the Beast. Both women are bound by the witch who cursed Eglantine, the Princess. While it appears that each Prince is trying to help a woman in need, their goals are really the same. They just don't know it.

I found this book to be well written and engaging. I enjoyed reading it from start to finish. It is clean and a fun read for everyone.



2 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this one, but I do love fairy tales. I thought it would be a mix of Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast based on the cover. It sounds like a unique story and one I would like. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound like an interesting book. I thought the same thing when I read the title. Thanks for the review! I will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.