Thursday, November 7, 2013

Book Review ~ "Being Jamie Baker" by Kelly Oram

Being Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker, #1)Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: Received to Review
Genre: YA Romantic Sci-Fi

Book Description: An accident that should end in tragedy instead gives seventeen-year-old Jamie Baker a slew of uncontrollable superhuman abilities. To keep her secret safe Jamie socially exiles herself, earning the title of Rocklin High's resident ice queen. But during a supercharged encounter with star quarterback Ryan Miller she literally kisses anonymity goodbye. Now the annoyingly irresistible Ryan will stop at nothing to melt the heart of the ice queen and find out what makes her so special. Unfortunately, Ryan is not the only person on to her secret. Will Jamie learn to contain her unstable powers before being discovered by the media or turned into a government lab rat? More importantly, can she throw Ryan Miller off her trail before falling in love with him?


My thoughts: Jamie has experienced things that a teen shouldn't have to deal with. She was in an accident, her boyfriend killed, and she was left with electrical powers. She doesn't know who to trust so she locks herself behind the "ice queen" character. It is a self preservation mechanism.

Then we meet Ryan. I think everyone needs a Ryan in their life. He is such a persistent young man who makes life and tough situations easier to get through. He was just the person Jamie needed to learn how to be herself again.

This is a fun YA book. Jamie has superpowers, there is romance, and some action as well. I couldn't help but feel drawn to the characters. Some of the teenage peer pressure was sad to see. I thought at the time that is what you can expect from teenagers, then realized that I see some of the same behavior in adults.  I enjoyed the humorous situations that were found throughout the story

While this is a fictional book, I think there are a couple of lessons that can be taken from the story. The first is to not make judgments without knowing the background story, the second is to be true to yourself. A third would be to accept others.

There is some kissing and references to sexual assault.


You can purchase eCopies for $2.99 at these links:




Kissing Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker, #1.5)Kissing Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Story description:  A short story that retells Jamie and Ryan's first kiss from Ryan's point of view.

My thoughts: I am currently reading Being Jamie Baker. While I was looking at the other books by Kelly Oram, I found this little short story listed. I started to look around for it and couldn't find it at any of the on-line bookstores. I finally googled it and found a link on Kelly Oram's blog.

I had already read this part in the story and I wanted to find out Ryan's point of view. Get a look in his head about the incident, because it was humorous reading it the first time.

I wasn't disappointed. This is a cute addition. I would recommend reading the version in the book first. Then go to http://www.kellyoram.com/p/kissing-ja... to read this one.


1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that there was a short story with this series! O.O Thanks for the info! I agree with you, I think that everyone needs a Ryan in their life. He's so perfect at it, LOL. Awesome review, girly! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.