Saturday, October 13, 2012

Review ~ Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Rating : 3 of 5 stars

Book Descripiton (taken from AmazonTuesdays at Castle Glower are Princess Celia’s favorite days. That’s because on Tuesdays the castle adds a new room, a turret, or sometimes even an entire wing to itself. No one ever knows what the castle will do next, and no one - other than Celia, that is - takes time to map out the new additions. But when King and Queen Glower are ambushed and reportedly killed, it’s up to Celia with her secret knowledge of the Castle’s many twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom.


Whitney's Thoughts:  My 13-year-old daughter is a voracious reader, and keeping her stocked with books is a full-time job. We especially love it when we find middle-grade books that we both enjoy, such as Marie Rutkoski’s Cabinet of Wonders, and Mary Ann Wood’s Incorrigible Children series. My daughter loved Tuesdays at the Castle, and I liked it just fine, but it didn’t quite rise to the level of those other books for me.
Princess Celia is a delightful heroine—plucky and funny and strong. The castle, and the underlying magic that binds it to the royal family, are interesting and unusual, and the story uncovers those bonds in a readable and suspense-filled way that my daughter loved. I’m trying to put my finger on why it read a little juvenile to me. Obviously, it’s a middle-grade book, so the characters and situations revolve around family, which is fine. Perhaps what put me off is a slight air of condescension, and an ending that kind of appeared out of the clear blue sky, as though the plucky main character couldn’t possibly have saved the day by herself.
Or perhaps I’m too picky. Give this to your daughter. It’s a wonderful read, and she’ll love it!

~Whitney~
Purchase links:




***I received an electronic copy of the book for review.  Whitney reviewed from her own copy.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.