Sunday, January 15, 2012

Review of "Trapped" by Michael Northrop

TrappedTrapped by Michael Northrop

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: Purchased by me
Genre: YA Fiction

Description from Goodreads: The day the blizzard started, no one knew that it was going to keep snowing for a week. That for those in its path, it would become not just a matter of keeping warm, but of staying alive....
Scotty and his friends Pete and Jason are among the last seven kids at their high school waiting to get picked up that day, and they soon realize that no one is coming for them. Still, it doesn't seem so bad to spend the night at school, especially when distractingly hot Krista and Julie are sleeping just down the hall. But then the power goes out, then the heat. The pipes freeze, and the roof shudders. As the days add up, the snow piles higher, and the empty halls grow colder and darker, the mounting pressure forces a devastating decision....

My thoughts: I'm a sucker for survival books. I seem to love them. I keep reading them, and I think I may learn a little from each one.

Trapped is a worse scenario book. Seven teens are left in their high school when it was let out early due to blizzard conditions. The teens were all expecting a ride to come and get them, but the driving conditions did not support vehicle rescue.

As they begin to realize that no one is coming for them, survival mode kicks in. They start to think and plan for a longer stay at the High School. It could be worse, they could have been stuck in a car with no way out and food.

The teens are a mixture of teen society. Not all of them get along, but they do learn to have respect for each other. It was interesting to see the different dynamics clash and compliment each other.

I enjoyed the book. I wish there could have been an epilogue to let us know what happened with all of the other kids, the teacher who left and was never heard from. Did all of the buses make it when they took students home?

There are many unanswered questions. Leaving me not feeling quite complete at the end.

I read this as the first book in the challenge to read a book a month from my TBR pile.  This book has been sitting unread on my shelf for a long time.



3 comments:

  1. Great review. I have also had this one sitting on my shelf. Time to pick it up and read it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of this book, but I wish I would have been able to read it during last year's blizzard! Very fitting, right? Seriously though, this book really sounds awesome. I've not read too many worse case scenario books/survival books. I'm thinking I need to add a few to my TBR list!

    - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be more applicable in Alaska this year. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.