Thursday, January 12, 2012

REVIEW of Prophecy of the Guardian

Prophecy of the Guardian by JW Baccaro
Source: Received to Review
Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Content warning:


Colleen's ThoughtsAs I read this book, I often felt like I was reading a spin off of Lord of the Rings - other worlds, good wizards turning bad, elves, trolls, strange and grotesque creatures working for the evil wizards, a race to save the world from a great evil trying to take over the earth, etc. The dialogue is odd.  The syntax and sentence structure seems to vacillate between something Yoda-like to phrases such as, "No way!" and other contemporary teen-aged expressions.  Although, I must say, the story did have its own flare.  I enjoyed reading about the characteristics of the Nasharin race.  They were intriguing beings; magical, but with very human qualities.  I liked how the protagonist, Darshun, a Nasharin, was flawed, inexperienced, and naive.  He struggled between what he should do and what he wanted to do, like any other young person. 

As interesting as the story-line may be, despite the draw I know it would have for the older boys, and perhaps girls too, I would most definitely not let my teenagers read this book.  The blood and gore of the fighting scenes were described in unnecessary detail.  It was disturbing.  However, I was most offended by the intimate scene between Darshun and Aurora.  I was sickened and uncomfortable with its graphic portrayal.  It is most assuredly not what I would like my older children reading.

1 comment:

  1. bummr it was not 2 your liking

    tnx 4 sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.