Saturday, August 13, 2011

Review of Two Moon Princess

Two Moon PrincessTwo Moon Princess by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: NetGalley
Genre: YA Fantasy

Description from GoodReadsIn this coming-of-age story set in a medieval kingdom, Andrea is a headstrong princess longing to be a knight who finds her way to modern-day California. But her accidental return to her family's kingdom and a disastrous romance brings war, along with her discovery of some dark family secrets. Readers will love this mix of traditional fantasy elements with unique twists and will identify with Andrea and her difficult choices between duty and desire.

My thoughts: Before I start a book I tend to check the reviews on Goodreads. After reading some of the reviews, I frankly wondered if I really did want to read this book. I downloaded it from NetGalley and felt obligated to read it. I took my time and put it off for a while.  I wish I would have read it sooner.

Andrea is the fourth daughter of a King and Queen on a different world. It is fashioned just like a medieval Kingdom of Earth. It turns out that centuries ago some Spaniards had escaped through a door between worlds.  They  were escaping the Arabians.They colonized their new planet and did not have contact with Earth. As Earth's society grew and evolved into a technological society, this planet's remained more stagnant.

Andrea doesn't fit into the society pressed upon her. She wants to be a Knight, but is refused. She hates being a lady. One evening she is told a little about her planets history and starts to figure out where a portal is. She then finds herself in modern day California.

She loves her life in California.  She is going to a University and being treated as an equal.  She has family living there, you would have to read the book to find out how, it's quite and interesting little twist in the story. She makes friends and falls in love.  Then one evening she accidentally finds herself at home. Because of some of her decisions, war is started.  She feels the blame and tries to help negotiate peace.

Andrea learns some painful lessons about growing up. She changes her mind about being a Knight after seeing war up close and personal. I found that this is the way with most Young Adults, as you learn and grow and have experiences, you are able to understand what it is that you would really like to do with your life, what will work for you and what will not.

The romance is not forced, and Andrea has her heart broken a few times. This is also typical for Young Adults. I found this to be a fun book to read. I enjoyed it. Yes, in a few places it is slow and some of the main characters are not always nice. Overall, I found it to be refreshing and enjoyable.  It is squeaky clean.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.