Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review of "Laney"

Laney (The Brookehaven Vampires, #1)Laney by Joann I. Martin Sowles

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Recommended to: Ages 16 and over

Description from Goodreads: In a small college town in Northern California, Laney Alexander leads a regular, uneventful life-that is, until the charming and alluring Oliver Knight enters her world. Who is this gorgeous and mysterious stranger? Or, rather, what is he? As Laney's sophomore year of college begins, so does an unbelievable adventure-including a love she didn't know she longed for. She soon learns that Oliver is not ordinary, nor is the rest of his family, including a sister who openly hates her and a brother who will stop at nothing for revenge. As she fights for her life, and Oliver's love, Laney discovers that the fictional world of vampires isn't so fictional after all. Nobody is safe, especially Laney, Oliver's most important priority, and he will stop at nothing to protect her. With her mortality at risk, and a commitment revealed that she, without a doubt, knows she wants, Laney's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn...

My thoughts:Laney is your average 18 year old college student. She lives with her best friend off campus and attends courses at a University.

On the first day of classes her roommate, Kiera, faints in English class and the gorgeous guy they had been checking out carries her to the nurses office. Laney and the guy, Oliver, hit it off fairly quickly. The attraction is pretty instantaneous and intense.

Things are not what they seem, of course, this is a paranormal romance story. Oliver has secrets. You will notice that it is the Brookehaven Vampires series. I think that is a huge hint as to what Oliver may be. He also doesn't eat in front of Laney and others. Hmmm....


There is a feud between Oliver and a rogue vampire. The other vampire is ruthless and wants revenge against Oliver. There is a deeper connection between them, but I will not reveal what it is, you will need to read the story.


The only concern that I had is for younger YA readers, There is quite a bit of sex talk and innuendo. It wasn't offensive, but I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers. Personally, I loved it and I am looking forward to the next installment. I have some unanswered questions that I am looking forward to finding out about. One of them has to do with Laney's parentage. (Joann, that's a hint for you!)

Thank you Joann for contacting me to read your story.  I had actually noticed this book on goodreads and it was on my to read list when she contacted me.  I jumped at the chance to read it, and I would again. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review here. :) Sounds like a nice vampire read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review for a YA para/ro. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.