Thursday, March 3, 2011

REVIEW - "Rugged and Relentless" - An entertaining book!

Rugged and Relentless (Husbands For Hire #1)Rugged and Relentless by Kelly Eileen Hake

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Roll into Hopesfall, Colorado, where three women are seeking mates to help them establish a sawmill. Evelyn Thompson never dreamed their husbands-for-hire ad would bring so many bachelors to their tiny town. How will she ever figure out which feller to choose? Jacob Granger, a logger-turned-bounty hunter, is hot on the trail of his brother’s killer. When a clue leads him to Hopesfall, he has no choice but to pretend to court Miss Thompson while waiting for the killer to show his hand. Will Jacob’s unexpected adoration of this sweet cook prompt him to speak vows before getting vengeance?
Description from Goodreads.

Let me just say from the start, I was surprised by this book.  I wasn't anticipating a great read, but I found one.  I loved the wit between the two main characters, Evie and Jacob.  The rest of the characters have humor as well, but the focus in this book is Evie and Jacob. I will now be adding a new author as one of my favorites. I read this as a galley from netgalley and will be purchasing a hard copy. I will be eagerly anticipating the next book in the series.

The premise behind the story at a glance seemed a little contrived and I was skeptical.  I had a grin on my face through a huge portion of the book. Three women placing an add in the paper to find husbands?  I have heard of mail order brides, but this is an unusual take.  Most of the men who respond think they must ghastly, too old, or have something else wrong with them. The lure of money will make many turn their heads on looks. Instead, they find  three mostly confident,  pretty, and intelligent young women.

The first part of the book clips at a rapid pace.  It lags in the middle and picks up right at the end.  If you open the pages of this book be prepared to chuckle and be entertained.  Did I mention that there is romance as well?

Thanks to Barbour Publishing for approving my request to read the galley.  The publication date was March 1, 2011.

I am happy to report that this is a clean book.  No Content Warnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.