Sunday, December 26, 2010

REVIEW - Miss Humbug

Miss HumbugMiss Humbug by Marnie L. Pehrson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Miss Humbug is a story following one woman's journey to find the spirit of Christmas.



Elaina's parents died in a car accident on Christmas Eve when she was12 years old. Christmas became a bother to her, it wasn't a time of celebration. In fact she closed herself off to everyone, focusing solely on her career, earning the nickname "ice lady."



On December 16th she receives an angelic visitation from her parents who caution her that she is not living the life she is meant to live and that if she doesn't straighten up her act she will not live to see another Christmas. Her mother refers her to the Bible as a reference to live a "Christ like life."



Doing good to others literally saves her life. She transforms from a bitter woman, into a woman who begins to see her full potential and opens her heart. She even falls in love.



In many ways, this short story reminded me of "A Christmas Carol.". It is a story to read when you want a " pick me up".

I was browsing book blogs one day and came across this book offered for free in e-book format.  I couldn't pass it up and I am glad that I didn't.  I believe that I downloaded it from the author's website.  (My brain is a little fuzzy, it's a side effect from pain medication!)

On a personal note - I appreciate the good wishes that I received from several of you concerning my carpel tunnel surgery.  I am recovering nicely, I hurt a little and my ability to do things with my hands is very limited. I can still post reviews, but they will be short.  I mostly compose them on my iPhone, it is easier that way.  My reviews have been taken almost verbatim from my  Goodreads reviews, you can cut and paste,  a beautiful feature for me right now.
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.