Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My book bucket list for 2011

I have MANY books on my shelves that I have not read.  "Too many books, too little time."  Maybe what I need to do is prioritize my reading. 

I have decided that for 2011, I will read 50 of the books that have been sitting on my "to read" shelf for too long, some for  three years or more.

I read at least two books a week, so it should be no problem, right?  I will remind myself of that when the end of 2011 comes, and see how many I may try to cram in at the last minute.  My problem when it comes to reading is , my intentions are good, but I am easily distracted.  There are so many books that I find and want to read, and some great books are moved farther on the back burner. 

 I am going to keep a list in my sidebar for the year, as I read them I will cross them off, that way there will always be a reminder for me when I get on my blog.  It won't become buried under all of my posts and forgotten.

So, here is my list.  On the top of the list, books that have been on my "to read" for the greatest length of time.  On the bottom of the list, books that have been on for the least amount of time.

1. "They Holy Secret" by James L Ferrel  10/30/11
2. "Massacre at Mountain Meadows" by Ronald Walker
3. "The Price We Paid: The Extraordinary Story of the Willie and Martin Handcart Pioneers" by Andrew      Olsen
4. "William Shakespeare's: Twelfth Night (Shakespeare Retellings, #6) " by Bruce Coville 2/23/11
5."Water Keep" (Farworld book 1) by Scott Savage
6. " The Journal of Curious Letters" (The 13th Reality #1) by James Dashner
7. "The Memory Keepers Daughter" by Kim Edwards
8. "Found" (The Missing, #1) by Margaret Peterson Haddix 3/13/11
9. "Sent"  (The Missing #2) by Margaret Peterson Haddix 3/15/11
10. "Mistborn: The Final Empire" (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson
11."The Well of Ascension" (Mistoborn #2) by Brandon Sanderson
12. "The Hero of the Ages (Mistborn #3) by Brandon Sanderson
13. "The Actor and the Housewife" by Shannon Hale
14. "Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow" by Jessica Day George
15. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett
16. "The Lost Symbol" (Robert Langdon #3) by Dan Brown
17. "Coraline" by Neil Gaiman
18."The Magicians Elephant" by Kate DiCamillo 2/24/11
19. "Shiver"(The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
20."The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate" by Gary Chapman
21. " Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman  6/24/11
22. "The Undaunted" by Gerald Lund
23. "Jane Bites Back" by Thomas Michael
24. "Witch and Wizard" by James Patterson
25. "Storm Glass" by Maria V. Snyder
26. "Sea Glass" by Maria V. Snyder
27." The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho
28. "Milkweed" by Jerry Spinelli
29.  "Lady of Milkweed Manor" by Julie Klassen
30. "7 Miracles that Saved America" by Chris Stewart
31. "Hush, Hush" by Becca Fitzpatrick
32. "Beastly" by Alex Flinn
33. "Season's of a Mother's Love" by David J Ridges  6/6/11
34. "Just one Wish" by Janette Rallison
35. "My Fair Godmother" by Janette Rallison
36. "Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side" by Beth Fantaskey
37. "Graceling" by Kristen Cashore
38. "The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe
39."The Cinderella Society" by Kay Cassidy
40. "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger
41. " Beautiful Creatures" by Kami Garcia
42. "The Storyteller's Daughter" by Cameron Dokey
43. "The Maze of Bones" (The 39 Clues #1) by Rick Riordan  4/21/11
44. "The Red Pyramid" (Kane Chronicles #1) by Rick Riordan
45. "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood
46. "The Eternal Ones" by Kristen Miller
47. "The Last Waltz" by G G Vandagriff
48. "The Smile" by Donna Jo Napoli
49. "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen 3/29/11
50. "Are Your Kids Driving you Nuts?" by James J Jones 1/11

OK, they are listed.  I will stick to the list.  I am looking at all of the other books on my "to read" list and I am thinking that I would really like to add them, but they haven't been on as long.  My goal is to read these great books and get them off of my list.

Feel free to join me,  make a list of books that you will read for 2011.  Cross them off as you go.  See if  you can finish your list before I finish mine.  Make a list of 10 or however many you feel is "do"able for you.

I am adding a Mr Linky. That way anyone who wants to participate can, and see what everyone else is doing.

**Sorry, I didn't pay to continue the Linky service, therefore the linky has been removed.  If you join, please leave a comment with the link to your list (if you are a blogger) or indication you are participating if you are not a blogger.  You could list your books in the comments to keep track of them.  =) **

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invitation to this challenge. I am getting behind because I get interested in something new and then the books tend to shift. Not sure that I can 50. Will have to think about the number.

    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great thanks Lisa - I will get a post together and put a link here. Are you going to add Mr. Linky?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I will add a MR Linky. I hadn't thought of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa! I'm glad you said we could maybe do 10 books. I don't think I even have 50 TBRs!! But I'm going to sign up on the linky list once I have a post up for it. I think I'm going a little challenge crazy but I think I'm going to try to do as much crossover as possible so I won't be the crazy person who is trying to read 200 books in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lisa! I'm glad you said we could maybe do 10 books. I don't think I even have 50 TBRs!! But I'm going to sign up on the linky list once I have a post up for it. I think I'm going a little challenge crazy but I think I'm going to try to do as much crossover as possible so I won't be the crazy person who is trying to read 200 books in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As of this moment, I have 435 books in my TBR pile. I chose the books that have been burried the longest. I am thinking 50 is a lofty goal, I am rethinking my decision, but it is posted, I have committed, and so I will endeavor to complete it! If you want to do 5, that's great, I just was thinking it would be great to commit to read the books on longest, it might be years before I read some of these books if I didn't make it my goal to get it done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lisa - I should get to posting about this challenge here in the next few days, and then will sign up.

    Also I have been meaning to let you know about this site where you can list this challenge. Its called A Novel Challenge - all they do is list challenges. Fun stuff!

    http://novelchallenges.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in for this. I will make a list later as I am on vacation.
    kim in ohio

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid to count the TBRs that I have. It might be healthy to do so, but there are some things I just don't want to know. And not only do I have hundreds and hundreds of traditional (paper) books stacked around my house, I have additional hundreds queued up for my Kindle! So, I'm going to join this challenge. I'll come back and use the Linky Tool to leave a link to my commitment post. In the meantime, feel free to visit me at Reading in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, I'm in. I posted my list of the 50 books I plan to remove from my TBR stack at http://reading.elsi123.net/2010/12/challenge-accepted-book-bucket-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. All signed up, linked up and ready to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to everyone who has joined. We get so caught up in the new books, that sadly the older books get left behind. Have fun reading. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in! Hoping this will help me de-clutter in 2011. Going for 50.

    http://retroreduxsreviews.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-book-bucket-list-for-2011.html

    BTW-I'm also hosting three small challenges if any of you folks would care to join-info is here:

    http://retroreduxsreviews.blogspot.com/p/2011-challenges-im-hosting.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. As you say, too many books, too little time. I should set myself a list.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My post is here - I'm going for 12 books. I'm behind already as well.

    http://myreadingroom-crystal.blogspot.com/2010/12/2011-challenge-book-bucket-list.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.