Friday, July 5, 2013

LDS Book Review ~ "Angels: Angents of Light, Love, and Power" by Donald W. Parry

Angles: Agents of Light, Love, and PowerAngles: Agents of Light, Love, and Power by Donald W. Parry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Source: Received to Review
Genre: LDS non-fiction
Scheduled Release date: July 24, 2013

Book Description: Angels: Agents of Light, Love, and Power is the most thorough book on this vital—but often misunderstood—topic. Brother Parry, who has spoken about angels at BYU Education Week, has painstakingly researched what we can learn from the scriptures and from statements of modern prophets about angels and their missions. Chapters in this book focus on such topics as what angels are, what powers and abilities they are given, how they communicate with mortals (including their interaction with little children), what missions and roles they are assigned, how they restore priesthood and keys, how they reveal truth and teach the doctrines of the gospel, and what their roles will be in the Second Coming and during the Judgment. It includes a discussion of how angels minister to and comfort mortals, and about the role of guardian angels.

My thoughts:  Angels are a subject in which I have interest. When the opportunity came to review a book about angels, I was ready to read. I firmly believe that we have angels surrounding and helping us throughout our life. I wanted to find out what the scriptures and prophets have said on the matter.

Donald W. Parry has created a volume that sites many sources pertaining to the mission of angels with mankind. His resources include the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and modern day prophets. There are 33 chapters that are split up into three parts. Part I - About Angels, Part II - Angels Minister With Love to Mortals, and Part III - Five Symbols Associated with Angels.

I found this book to be very informative and led me to a lot of personal reflection and contemplation. I shared many of the ideas with my husband. There a great many spiritual lessons to be learned from this book.

I love that I was able to find many sources and instances in one book. I admit that I am and prefer to read the research of another.  Having it all compiled into one resource is beneficial.

This book is written for an LDS audience. Most of the stories are from LDS prophets and leaders.  It could be interesting for anyone wanting to study the purpose of angels.



Purchase Links: 


Amazon (Pre-order) * Deseret Book


About Donald W. Parry:  Donald W. Parry Ph.D. is a professor of Hebrew Bible in the Department of Asian and Near Eastern Languages at Brigham Young University. He holds the Abraham O. Smoot Professorship. He is the author and editor of many works related to the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Old Testament. He served as a member of the Board of the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies (FARMS) at Brigham Young University from 1988 to 2007

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. This is a subject that fascinates me. I will definitely order this one.
    Gwynn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.