Sunday, August 7, 2011

Review of "Michael Vay: The Prisoner of Cell 25"

Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Source: Simon & Schuster Galley Grab
Genre: YA/Middle Grade Adventure Sci-Fi
Scheduled release is August 9th

Description from Goodreads: My name is Michael Vey, and the story I’m about to tell you is strange. Very strange. It’s my story. 


To everyone at Meridian High School, Michael Vey is an ordinary fourteen-year-old. In fact, the only thing that seems to set him apart is the fact that he has Tourette’s syndrome. But Michael is anything but ordinary. Michael has special powers. Electric powers.
Michael thinks he's unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor also has special powers. With the help of Michael’s friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up this way, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric children – and through them the world. Michael will have to rely on his wits, powers, and friends if he’s to survive.

My thoughts:I am impressed that Mr. Evans was able to write such a fantastic book for younger readers. I have read and enjoyed several of his adult fiction books. This book is a huge leap into a different genre and Richard Paul Evans has proven that he is a writer with a huge range of talent.

Michael Vay is 14 at the beginning of the story. He is picked on and struggles with tourettes. He is also keeping a secret. He is able to use electricity. Not like we do, he is a human taser.

He and his friend Ostin start to look into the reasons behind the secrets. They are joined by Taylor, a popular cheerleader and then they are caught up in a situation that is huge. They must decide to use the power for good or become pawns in a game that the ultimate prize is power and money.

Love this book. It is a page turner that will interest girls and boys. I am grateful for good books that will appeal to boys.  It seems that most of the publishing market is geared toward girls,  probably because they are the most prolific readers.  As the mother of three boys, any book to interest my boys is a huge win!  I look forward to the next book.  Yes, there will be a sequel.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I haven't heard of this book. It sounds great. I will have to add this to my TRL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read one book of his so far, The Locket. My little review here if you like to check it out. :D Finding out that he has a book for younger readers intrigued me. For some reason I'm thinking him and Percy Jackson will get along fine. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.