Saturday, May 30, 2015

Book Review ~ "Devon's Choice" by Catherine Bennett

Devon's ChoiceDevon's Choice by Catherine Bennett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Source: Received to Review
Genre: Contemporary Christian Romance

Book Description:  Life holds no surprises for Devon Murphy. Her life consists of keeping tabs on her aging Irish father, working part time at a coffee shop, and building her online graphics design business. Devon’s only tricky situation is a shallow relationship with the pampered and affluent Michael Turner, who sees her as just another woman to conquer. 

Following his father’s death, Brandon’s only goal is to expand the family business and live life on his own terms. That is, until he walks into the coffee shop one snowy evening and meets the enchanting, red-haired barista behind the counter. But can Devon and Brandon’s attraction for each other be strong enough to help erase their deepest disappointments and renew their faith in God? 


My thoughtsDevon's Choice is clean a Christian contemporary romance.H

Devon is broken on many levels. She sacrifices her life for her father who suffers from a heart condition. He doesn't take care of himself and so she takes on the responsibility. She puts up with a loser boyfriend, mostly because her father likes him and wants to see her taken care of when he passes.

To me the story was about Devon finding her way. She has gone through the motions for so many years, that she has let many things slide by, particularly her faith.

I liked the characters in this story. I think my favorite was her dad. He's a meddling and lovable father who is stubborn and will live life to the fullest on his terms. His main desire is to see his daughter happy and in a relationship. He knows that he doesn't have much time and doesn't want to to be alone.

I admired Devon sticking up for her values. She was pressured by her ex-boyfriend into premarital sexual relations. It was contrary to the decision and beliefs that she held. I really like reading about characters that are strong enough to say "no" and mean it!

This is a book that is clean and a quick read. I didn't connect with the story well, that's why I gave it a 3 rating. That being said, it was still a good book.



Purchase a Digital copy for $2.99

1 comment:

  1. I don't like it when I don't connect with the characters, but like the story....but If I don't connect to the story then I have to quit. Does that make sense? It sounded better in my head :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.