Sunday, September 8, 2013

Book Review ~ "Edenbrooke" by Julianne Donaldson




Edenbrooke (A Proper Romance)Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Source: I bought this one
Genre: Historical Romance

Book Description: Marianne Daventry will do anything to escape the boredom of Bath and the amorous attentions of an unwanted suitor. So when an invitation arrives from her twin sister, Cecily, to join her at a sprawling country estate, she jumps at the chance. Thinking she’ll be able to relax and enjoy her beloved English countryside while her sister snags the handsome heir of Edenbrooke, Marianne finds that even the best laid plans can go awry.

From a terrifying run-in with a highwayman to a seemingly harmless flirtation, Marianne finds herself embroiled in an unexpected adventure filled with enough romance and intrigue to keep her mind racing. Will she be able to rein in her traitorous heart, or will a mysterious stranger sweep her off her feet? Fate had something other than a relaxing summer in mind when it sent Marianne to Edenbrooke.


My thoughts: This book has been sitting on my shelf for a long time. I have noticed that many of my goodreads friends have given it rave reviews and I paid attention. I wanted to read this book.

I have the opportunity to review another of Julianne Donaldson's books later this month and I wanted to read this one first. In my mind I was thinking of it as a way to research.... kind of.

This book is amazing! The romance is perfect. It is sweet, intense. and swoon worthy. The setting is beautiful. I fell in love with the characters and Edenbrooke. I loved everything about this book.

Marianne has mourned the death of her mother for 14 months. She feels abandoned, she feels like she is tolerated, not wanted by anyone. She is brave and true to herself in all things. She loves the countryside and longs to return, to escape Bath and the social life she has been thrust into.  She had an amazing sense of humor.

Phillip has been sought after for his inheritance. He wants to feel wanted and needed for the man who he has become, not for material things. In Marianne he finds a genuine person. This pulls him towards her and life begins to lighten for him.

The book deals with Marianne's doubts about herself and her willingness to put everyone else's needs above her own. Marianne travels through self discovery and begins to understand her worth.

This book is one that will need to be re-read, again and again.  The best part is it's a clean romance!



This is my September book for the Just For Fun challenge.
The Kindle and Nook editions are only $1.99 this month!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful review! I was waiting until this month to purchase Edenbrooke, as it's been on my TBR for a little while. I, too, am reading Blackmoore for a tour and I am loving it! I hope I love Edenbrooke just as much. Based on your rave review, and others' reviews, I think I'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.