Sunday, July 15, 2012

Down Memory Lane with Sonja Herbert ~ Author of "Carnival Girl"


Sonja Herbert has written a very compelling book about life during a tough time in the history of the world.  She was a child in Germany after WWII.  I will be having a review posted of this book tomorrow.  But for now, I wanted to share this short memoir that she wrote.  I thank her for the time and thought in sharing this with us.

********************
When I was a little girl, traveling in our small carnival caravan, I often listened to my mother talking about how she used to be a model in Berlin, the greatest city of Europe, and how she had to leave and hire on with the circus in order to stay ahead of the Nazis.

During the few times we carnival children attended school, I once received an A for a story about a Greek myth I had written, and on that day I decided to write about my mother’s life when I grew up.
All through the time I raised my six children here in the U.S.A., this thought was with me, and when the younger ones were a bit older, I started on my mother’s story. As the story unfolded, I realized that it would not be complete unless I also told my own story, the story of my childhood and my life with my mother.
And that’s how Carnival Girl began. I originally called it Conversations with Margot (my mother’s first name), but since the novel I wrote about her life isn’t quite finished yet, I decided to re-name the memoir and publish it first.

As I wrote the memoir and remembered the things that happened in my early life, old feelings returned, and I had to confront the childish assumptions of my younger self. Now, as a grown woman, I am able to see things I had not seen as a little girl, and when my memoir was finished, I had a new insight and understanding for my mother, who had suffered so much and still came out ahead.

My mother, Margot, is now ninety-one years old. She lives in Stuttgart, Germany, and is still going strong!
Thank you Mutti, for everything you have taught me!

********************

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this nice intro to your review of Carnival Girl. Can't wait to see what you'll do tomorrow!
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.