Thursday, April 28, 2011

Here Lies Bridget

Here Lies BridgetHere Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Description from Goodreads: Bridget Duke is the uncontested ruler of her school. The meanest girl with the biggest secret insecurities. And when new girl Anna Judge arrives, things start to fall apart for Bridget: friends don't worship as attentively, teachers don't fall for her wide-eyed "who me?" look, expulsion looms ahead and the one boy she's always loved—Liam Ward—can barely even look at her anymore.
When a desperate Bridget drives too fast and crashes her car, she ends up in limbo, facing everyone she's wronged and walking a few uncomfortable miles in their shoes. Now she has only one chance to make a last impression. Though she might end up dead, she has one last shot at redemption and the chance to right the wrongs she's inflicted on the people who mean the most to her.
And Bridget's about to learn that, sometimes, saying you're sorry just isn't enough….


My thoughts:
Bridget is a witch. She lives to promote her own agenda and make everyone else's life miserable. She is self centered and could care less what anyone else thinks or feels.

Things begin to change for her when a new girl comes to the school. Everyone loves Anna and she pulls the attention away from Bridget. Bridget goes to extreme measures to regain her popularity and destroys a few lives in the process. She has an accident and is forced to examine her life and impact upon others. Try to make right her many wrongs.

I admit to loving to hate Bridget. I am glad that I never had a friend like her. This book is a reminder to me to take a look around me and see what I am doing in my relationships to others. Bridget realizes that she isn't nice, but doesn't understand how her actions are affecting her friends and acquaintances.

I had a few concerns about a couple of the words used in describing her, she finds them on the bathroom wall. They really made me cringe. I guess that was used to describe what kind a person she is in the book.

Good message on changing yourself and forgiveness.


I received a copy to review from Netgalley with the permission of Harlequin Teen.

3 comments:

  1. Would you say this would be a good read for a tween or would it be for older kids?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't recommend it to tweens. There is teen drinking and derogatory remarks referring to female anatomy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds like a pretty cool book. I mean, I can tell I wouldn't like Bridget either but sometimes it takes a flawed protagonist like that to remind us to do the right things in life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this novel with us! :)

    ~Hira~
    GFC Follower: ~Enamored Soul~
    Email: Enamoredsoul(at)gmail(dot)com
    Twitter: @inluvwithbookz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.