Wednesday, December 29, 2010

REVIEW - Growing More Beautiful

Growing More Beautiful an Artful Approach to Personal StyleGrowing More Beautiful an Artful Approach to Personal Style by Jennifer Robin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




As you go through life, it is not only possible, but natural, to grow more beautiful.
So begins Growing More Beautiful: An Artful Approach to Personal Style, the long-awaited second book by popular image consultant, artist and author Jennifer Robin.
Perhaps the first and only major book about beauty ever written by an artist, Growing More Beautiful: An Artful Approach to Personal Style is a lively, buoyant resource guide to projecting your essence with creativity and flair.
In Growing More Beautiful, learn how to:
<ul>
<li>Find your best red
<li>Identify necklines that flatter
<li>Make closet cleaning easier
<li>Buy a great bathing suit
<li>Break out of hair and make-up ruts
<li>Get the glow by bringing more color, creativity and art into your life


Jennifer Robin's paint box of practical tips, inspiring illustrations and colorful personal insights will open your senses to the beauty of both your inner life and outward appearance, and help make getting dressed a "daily act of creation." Discover a world of personal style that is uniquely you. Look and feel more beautiful as you grow into the person you were always meant to be. Watch as you flourish, creating the results you have always dreamed of achieving.  description from Goodreads

My thoughts on her book:

Jenifer Robin's approach to growing more beautiful doesn't come from a miracle bottle, the latest cosmetics available, or  trendy clothing. She uses common sense, finding the beauty within and finding something that you are passionate about, in her case it is painting.  For one of her clients it was knitting.  Maybe it's reading for me, or children's literacy... I have some work to do.  I must admit, I do love to sit outside on a beautiful day and feel the breeze as I am enraptured in the pages of  a good book.

I like her viewpoint. We are too focused on the beauty magazines and see our faults, rather than our assets. (Honestly, who looks like that, and do I really want to look like that?) We are not focused on feeling comfortable within our own skin, viewing ourselves as a whole person and not as bits and pieces. (In know when I see myself in the mirror or in a picture, the only thing I look at is the attributes that I do not like about myself.)  She writes about taking art classes and in landscapes, not finding the flow of nature, or in painting nudes, focusing on one feature and not seeing the whole person.  We look better when we focus on the whole, not on the weaknesses.  She also mentions trying to look at ourselves as others see us.

In the beginning of the book, on page 10, there is a certain passage which "spoke" to me.  She wrote: "I know from personal experience that "the glow" is not something I can take for granted.  When I am off track, pushing too hard, doubting myself, not putting my well-being first, my glow vanishes.  When I spend time caught in the whirl of shopping than I do painting or in nature, my outfit might look nice, but my glow is in serious jeopardy."

The book is full of beautiful pictures, they offer a moment of tranquility and beauty while the reader is inspired.  There are so many ideas worth exploring, this book can help us on that path.

I received a copy for review.  I am not paid to review, I do it for the love of reading and learning.

For more information on the book and author, here is a link.
http://growingmorebeautiful.com/

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.