Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review of "Allegiance" by Cayla Kluver

  Allegiance by Cayla Kluver
Source: Netgalley
Publication date: February 28, 2012
Rating: 5 of 5 stars

Book Description:"Only I saw Narian for who he truly was: a young man with courage and an independent mind, and made to pay for what was outside his control. He couldn’t help his past any more than he could help the way those intense, deep-blue eyes pierced me and held me captive."

AN EIGHTEEN-YEAR-OLD QUEEN IN LOVE WITH THE ENEMY AS THEIR COUNTRIES PASS THE POINT OF NO RETURN...
Bound to a man she cannot love, Queen Alera of Hytanica must forget Narian, the young man who holds her heart. For Narian is destined to conquer Hytanica at the behest of his master, the powerful magic-user known as the Overlord. Alera doesn’t truly believe Narian will fight against Hytanica—until Cokyrian troops attack with Narian commanding the charge.
Faced with the greatest betrayal a heart can know, Alera must set aside personal feelings and lead her kingdom through its darkest time. And when all hope, will and courage seem lost, she must find strength and remember that even the blackest night must have a dawn....



Colleen's Thoughts: In this second book of the trilogy, we see a more complex view of the characters, especially Alera and Steldor.  As pompous as Steldor is, his love for Alera is obvious and heart breaking since she does not love him in return.  Her heart is still tied to Narian despite her marriage to Steldor and Narian's traitorous actions to lead the Cokyrian armies against Hytanica.  However, throughout the emotional struggles of war, Alera begins to recognize that Steldor truly loves her and could make a good husband and king.  She also finds the inner strength to overcome the prejudices of her country and establish herself as a highly influential and powerful part of Hytanica's political arena.

I love the character development, I love her writing style, her beautiful descriptive language, and I love this series!  It makes me feel like I'm on a vacation from life when I read these books.  Yet, after finishing this book, I found myself wishing it had turned out differently.  My heart aches for Steldor.

2 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this series, but between your review and the cover, I might have to make room for it on my tbr pile (mountain, mile high tbr book tower, etc). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good one and the cover really catches my attention.
    Mike
    PS Please stop over at my blog and say hi.
    http://mikedraperinguilford.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.